Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Design


So I've been doing a lot of research on trikes, quadracycles and recumbents to figure out how all of this is going to go together. My plan is to re-use as much of the existing steel as possible to keep costs and waste down. I've figured I can use the head tube for the Pitman Arm steering setup and I can relocate the bottom bracket in front of the "front axle". I'm going to need some additional idler gears due to the extended length the chain will be running (some more research into recumbents is in order - maybe a tandem recumbent for inspiration!).

For the seating arrangement, I was originally planning on setting the pedals pretty much horizontal from the rider's butt; however, after drawing it out to scale, I noticed that gives the truck a really LONG front end and the rider's head far from the front window. I wasn't happy with that look, so I raised the butt of the rider closer to a traditional bike position to allow for the front end to be nice and squashed looking (granted, this raised the overall height of the truck, which I'm not totally thrilled about, but it's a acceptable trade-off).

Up next: DEMO! Get out your saws and grinders people!

No comments:

Post a Comment